At the James Bay Community Centre, we offer a variety of childcare programs for children ages 5-12. To learn more about our programs, click here, or contact our front desk at: 250-389-1470.
Our purpose is to provide high quality childcare that is: safe (physically and emotionally), fun, challenging and stimulating. We are respectful of individual needs and choices of children and families. We strive to create an environment where children can make choices in the way that allows for autonomy and fun. We encourage curiosity, exploration and learning in our activities. We will endeavour to teach children social skills and respect for both children and adults at the centre, as well as the community at large. We will strive to keep our fees on a competitive basis with alternative care options.
Childcare Guiding Principles and Philosophy:
The following Guiding Principles have informed the creation of our programs:
- We believe in children’s intrinsic ability and need to learn and play.
- We strive to support the whole child: body, mind, heart, and spirit.
- We strive to create a safe and inclusive environment where children, parents, teachers, and mentors can play and learn together.
- We strive to create a culture which is tolerant and supportive of individual expression.
- We support cooperative play above competition.
- We respect the integrity of the natural environment in which we live.
- We strive to connect children to nature and to a diversity of people in their community.
- To take good care of myself by playing safely and following the centre’s rules.
- To take good care of others by being kind and respectful; to help and never hurt.
- To take good care of the world around me; to look after equipment, our room, and the environment.
- To be respectful, polite, and friendly; to be as clear as possible with regards to all communication, questions, and concerns.
*Our rules apply to children, staff, parents all adults in our Community Centre.